Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/wwwscen/public_html/wp-content/plugins/scenic-facebook-feed/scenic-facebook-feed.php on line 74
Discover the thrill of a 52 degree incline riding the steepest passenger railway in the world, the Scenic Railway.
Following an award-winning redevelopment in 2013, this unforgettable experience offers glass-roofed carriages with expansive views of the rainforest setting and spectacular Jamison Valley.
Custom designed carriages allow passengers to choose their own adventure like never before, adjusting their seated position up to 20 degrees! Choose an adventurous ‘Cliffhanger’ ride at a steep 64 degree incline, or for those seeking a relaxed journey select the ‘Laid Back’ option. Of course, loyal fans can still ride the ‘Original’ at 52 degrees.
The Railway experience descends 310 metres through a cliff-side tunnel, emerging into ancient rainforest at the Jamison Valley floor. Operating since 1945, the Scenic Railway has thrilled 25 million passengers – this is the fifth generation train to ride the tracks since the Hammon family opened the attraction.
Carrying 84 passengers, the train departs every ten minutes. Disembark at the bottom station to access the Scenic Walkway and stroll through 2.4 kilometres of Jurassic rainforest.
The term ‘Scenic Railway’ was first used in the late 19th century in reference to amusement rides at English seaside funfairs. Consisting of simple carriages on rails, passengers passed a series of exotic ‘scenic’ backdrops such as the Swiss Alps or Egyptian pyramids.
Watch the story of constructing the new Scenic Railway experience – on a 52 degree incline! The award-winning design has received the following industry awards:
- 2013 Blue Mountains Lithgow Tourism Awards – New Tourism Development
- 2013 Master Builders Australia – Toyota National Civil / Infrastructure Award (under $25 million)
- 2013 NSW MBA – Public Buildings $10,000,001 to $25,000,000
- 2013 NSW MBA – Innovation Construction Technology/Equipment
- 2013 NSW MBA – Best Use of Steel
- 2013 NSW MBA – Site Safety Commercial Projects $10,000,001 to $25,000,000
- NSW Finalist 2013, Australian Institute of Project Management, Project Management Achievement Awards
- 2014 Australian Steel Institute NSW & ACT Steel Excellence Awards – Steel Excellence in Engineering Projects
- 2014 Australia Institute of Building NSW Professional Excellence in Building Awards – Building Professional of the Year for Commercial Construction $10 million to $50 million awarded to Hylton Bloch
- 2014 Australia Institute of Building NSW Professional Excellence in Building Awards – Professional Excellence Award for Commercial Construction $10 million to $50 million
- NSW/ACT Winner 2014, Engineering Projects, Australian Steel Institute Steel Excellence Awards
- Current Finalist National Award 2014, Engineering Project, Australian Steel Institute Steel Excellence Awards