One of our star Guides shares his tips for the best Scenic World experiences.
Andy has been a Guide and part of Rides Team for more than seven years. Having spent many years Guiding extensively overseas and locally, we feel very lucky to have him on our team. Firmly now a Mountains man, his local knowledge is impressive – so if you see him onsite, ask him something!
Our Rides Team know our site better than anyone, so we asked Andy – what is the best way to experience Scenic World?
- Visitors with prams and mum or dad walking with babies and small toddlers…..It is always under estimated about the coal mine display on the Scenic Walkway…..the little ones sit on Creamy and listen to Arthur speak. The short film will always be historically entertaining…did you know he was a real bloke and his grand daughter worked at Scenic World? A family picture moment.
- Slightly older kids must do the longer walks into the rainforest – the Lilipilli & Yellow Robin Links . This is a warm temperate rainforest giving life to species of flora and fauna found nowhere else on earth. It takes only minutes to experience sounds and smells that will stun the senses and leave you reeling with sensory overload.
- For the amateur photographer nothing will beat the view from Mary’s lookout accessed through the Terrace Cafe. The vista encapsulates the Blue Mountains….Envy will abound when viewing photos and video with friends and family.
- For the more serious photographer the walk from the Skyway East Station to Echo Point takes in amazing views. On arrival at Echo Point take the first part of the Giant Staircase to Honeymoon Bridge, close your eyes….move closer….move closer…slowly now……slower……purse your lips….the coolness of the rock you kiss is Meenhi the first Sister.
Any other local tips for us?
- Places of spirituality and heart and soul…Lawson Town has four waterfalls on an easy 90 minute walk. Do not bathe in these waters! Even in 30 degree heat the coolness of these waters will freeze your toes off…..Megalong Valley……Halfway down through the twisty bends to the valley floor on the left is Coachwood Glen…15 minutes walking in pristine rainforest awaits even the youngest traveller.
- I do not drink coffee and fine dining is not my style. Lawson pub does the best tucker that anyone needs. At work I recommend this all the time to our visitors. After hours of course!
- Something you may not know….In my seven and a bit years at Scenic World I want everyone to see what I see everyday. It is why I love what I do. My job is to make people smile and in doing so, I smile. Everyday is a good day and then the sun shines.